Tuesday, May 14, 2019

[#1] Underwater Photography: Where do I begin?


Underwater Photography is a skill that almost every diver I know has taken up. I began my underwater photography journey a long time ago. Back then it was purely to fill up my dive log, and to make identifying the creatures I saw while diving easier. I would take the photos, and my dive buddy would hit the reference books to identify them. After a while she complained that my lack of skills in photography is making it difficult for her to identify anything sometimes. The photos would be blue most of the time, and the subjects (mainly the fish) would turn away, and photos will be blurred. I would joke that they were art. But I knew that I should start taking underwater photography seriously so it would be easier for us to write anything on our dive logs. 

It took a long time for me to finally get colors in my photos. There were too many things to consider and understand. So I am starting this series for those who wish to start taking photos underwater. I am not a professional underwater photographer. I am not that good at it too. But I know how tough it was to get started. Which camera to buy? Do I need a strobe? Do I need a wet lens? Do I need to have them all to start taking photos? What other things I need to consider? Auto vs Manual, and other features - Would you be needing RAW files? Some cameras offer RAW, of course at a price. Examine the features of the camera. Read on about the features and ask yourself if you need them?

You may or may not have a camera already. But if you don't here are some things to consider:
  • Your budget - Most people will be limited by their budget. There are options too. Some entry level cameras are quite affordable. But the higher range are also attainable. You may be able to get used underwater setup in excellent condition at dirt cheap. Approach your diver friends, ask around. I have seen a complete setup of used underwater camera, complete with strobe, and accessories at less than a 1/3 of its cost.
  • Your interest - What you like to do underwater? What do you enjoy most when diving? I love everything about being underwater but I get so mesmerized when I see micro creatures, especially shrimps and nudibranchs. Some of my friends prefer bigger animals: giant groupers, turtle, sharks. Some hate the bulky photography equipment but would love to record their dive. This will determine the choice of cameras or even the need to have one. For some they would probably be content with just an action camera, which can be very cheap.
  • How likely are you to upgrade - If you're like me at all, you may get bored after playing with an entry level camera after a few months. Should that be the case, get yourself the next level camera.
  • Other factors - How often do you dive? If you dive only once a year, maybe you don't need to buy a camera. Most dive centers offer cameras for rent.
Next time I'll get to the preparation. What to do before you go diving. 

No comments: