Saturday, November 21, 2020

2020 is the year for Tenggol Island

First off.. forgive me if this post is going to be boring or not interesting enough. I haven't written anything since like forever. I tried to come up with something elegant or like that used to be special someone said, magazine worthy write up about my Tenggol trips in 2020. But it won't be me. I usually write something from the heart, and my heart I've left it with the whale sharks in Tenggol. 

Before 2019, I've never done Tenggol. I started diving in 2004, and it's amazing how I managed to avoid diving in strong current for 15 years. I think it was my 8th dive ever or something, I was diving in the Similan waters and I was pushed by strong upward current. My DM managed to pull me back after I was screaming my lungs out. Scared shit out of me, and I avoided really strong current at all cost. I've been to Aceh. I was duped into thinking that special someone would rescue me. Turned out he had students. 😒 Anyway somehow I wasn't affected by current that much underwater. Anyway, last year, Farah succeeded in persuading me to try Tenggol for the first time. I just recovered from Bronchitis, and I was panting after each dive as if I ran a marathon every time I dived. Luckily we were only diving for a day. 😓 Needless to say Macha was horrified to know that I went diving that soon. Tenggol of all places. Well.. ignorance is bliss, until something really bad happens la kan? Alhamdulillah, nothing bad happened. We came home safe. 

Then 2020 came. COVID-19 affected everyone. We were placed in MCO (Movement Control Order) beginning 18th March 2020. A lot happened during the 3 months plus we were quarantined within the safety of our homes, I had to cancel a dive trip to Tenggol planned on the 21st March. Luckily for us, AfroScuba Tenggol returned our money. As soon as the MCO was laxed, we squeezed ourselves out of KL and went to Dungun. I finally went diving again on Friday, 3rd July 2020. And the current was a bitch. 

But the water was beautiful. It was the bluest blue. The corals were healthy. The fish was in abundance. I admit the water was cold. My body was sore after I came back. We did 2 whole days and I could not get enough of it. I had to go back, and I did. Like two weeks later. Afroscuba advertised that they had 1 spot left on Sunday 19th July. Didn't take much to convince me that I should go. That weekend was special because I saw my first whale shark in Tenggol. The ever elusive whale sharks that managed to hide themselves every time we were there. I finally saw one. That weekend was also special because it was that day in 2019, I first met Chad and Acap during our trip to Bali with Apat. And I never remember these things. Not even my exes birthdays. That weekend just felt special. Plus we got a whale shark photo for Apat's birthday! We all sent him a birthday wish using Acap's whale shark photo. You gotta love us. 

Since that weekend, I've been going back. With different people of course. I finally mustered up the courage to drive all the way to Dungun on my own on several weekends. Got myself a ride as promised by Acap last year. I think he is regretting it now hahaha. I talk non-stop. I amaze myself sometimes really. Maybe that's my superpowers. I can really talk when I feel like it. According to Chad, I'm one of his customers that top the charts in terms of the number of dives completed with AfroScuba Tenggol. Wow.. Shouldn't I get an award or something? Come to think of it, I went diving on five different trips from July til September 2020. I was supposed to go again end of September but the government decided that we should be quarantined again right before I was supposed to go on my last trip of the year. What made really sad was I was supposed to go to Redang before the quarantine started, but the resort cancelled our trip. I'm so banning them. 😒 Anyway, I am so going back. Chad, if you're reading this, (I'm sure you won't) I'm booking the first weekend you're opened next year. I only dived with Afroscuba Tenggol in 2020 for many reasons. I think they have the coolest and the best crew ever. I'm pretty sure they grew tired seeing me every month, but I still love you guys. And I have to thank Chad, Pian, Kamil, Amin, and of course Jimi for taking good care of me while diving Tenggol with you guys. Of course I have to thank everyone who have been diving Tenggol with me throughout 2020 - Farah, Nisa, Zack, Acap, Fazlee, Sha, Zeti, Mardhiah, Fara, Amira, Mirs, Elmy, Mynt, Pawi, Fawwaz, Amry, Carress, Taqi, Ijurq, ET and Thing. You guys really made my trips.. should I say, memorable? 

Also saw a mobula ray.. actually saw a school of them.. graceful and very fast! 



The crew, Kamil and Jimi


It's always like this. My first whale shark, I didn't have batteries in the camera, my second whale shark, I set my camera on super micro, and my third whale shark, I forgot to turn off the strobe. Hmm... 

She went right above me. 

I told Harris, next time kejar whale shark.. bukan flounder


The batfish were acting all weird that day. 

The exact depth we saw the whale shark. She was at 15 meter

Gambar wajib lepas tengok whale shark secara berjemaah

💓💓💓

The beautiful creature

We were elated. We saw our whale shark

I think Chad was exhausted. All that traveling and diving was the cause. They fixed it by having a better schedule  and hiring an extra DM

Penat ye banggg

He saw his first whale shark 

The weekend we saw whale shark



Jimi yang sengal. I'm a happy camper

My favorite model. Semua gambar dia lawa... jealous

The day I because Jimi's helper. 

The cute sea slugs we kept seeing in Tenggol this year. 



Zack and Kamil. Before Kamil found out Zack makan angin 😋

First trip photo. 

Happiest girl alive

Dinner with the crew and Zeti. Jimi masak



This group is awesome. The only "big" group for me. Lol
With Elmy, Mirs and Kamil..

Yeah well.. that night was a bit hazy.. ermm... 
Ayie belanja us roti tempayan. Langkah kanan? 

We bumped into one another in Dungun.. 😁
Boo took good care of his baby lol



Ijurq and her girlfriends went diving in Tenggol.. I was just there. So we hung out. They were such darlings. I was too tired to go out for dinner, and they came and picked me up to go for a night cap. Thanks girls for letting me crash in like that.. 💜

More photos can be found on my IG. You can also find them using the hashtag #gebudiveswithafro. 

For more info on diving Tenggol with AfroScuba Tenggol, you can visit them on Instagram @afroscuba.tenggol or you can call them at +6012 355 4695 (Chad). Trust me, you won't be disappointed. 



No comments: